Sunday, July 27, 2014

They call me Sister Fluckiger!

Hey Family!!!
Can you believe it's only been 7 days since we last saw each other?! 
It has literally been a whirlwind here, I LOVE it, but it's been craaazy. The first three days were seriously the longest days ever. The missionaries here were not kidding, the first days feel like eternity and then after Sunday the days fly by. 
So where to begin, well Day 1 I was in a trio companionship with Sister Brooks and Sister Desjourdy because our fourth sister, Sister Mahoney had not arrived yet. I room with 5 other sisters all going to the sqaure and I love them all! Like we call each other, they're my sistas! I am now companions with Sister Brooks, our trio got split Thursday evening because Sister Mahoney finally arrived. She had visa problems and went had to go straight to the field in you home area and then when the visa arrived she came to see us :) Sister Desjourdy and Mahoney are both from Canada, they are my Canadian sisters :) they live about 12 hours from each other. My sweet companion Sister Brooks is from the good state of Southern California, so I don't think anyone won that bet. She is so sweet and extremely loving. The other sisters are Sister Skaggs, also from southern CA, and Sister Bulouoat (Boo-La-Watt) is from Hawaii. So basically our dorm is filled with 6 sisters with very different names, our first nights together with all 6 of us we took like 15 minutes practicing everyones names. We all called Sister Bulouoat Sister Hawaii for the first 2 days because we still couldn't get it haha, now we tell other people how to say it :)
The routine is PERFECT! exactly what a school-schedule loving person like me wants! After dinner I am still hitting a little bit of a wall because I'm so exhausted but It's getting better and it hasn't affected my studies yet. 
Teachers: Fantastic! Like no joke. We have classroom instruction in the morning with Brother Flores with Brother Baker as our teaching coach (no relation to Brian Baker...already asked) and then in the afternoon Brother Hanson teaches us with Brother Harward as our teaching coach.
Sister Brooks and I currently have 2 investigators, Andre who I love is our Progressing Investigator and then last night we met Alex, our TRC investigator...I don't quite love her yet because our first lesson basically went, well awful. But if you ask Sister Brooks about it she says it went fantastic. And that's why we're companions haha. No but really Alex is really sweet but she took an Intro to the Church class at BYU so she already knew everything about the restoration and the plan of salvation and really she as just curious to learn and understand more, but when we were talking to her we didn't feel like she was interested to know if our church is true, more like she just wanted to know what our doctrine is. She's already extremely religious but instead of the spirit being really strong as we talked about doctrine it just felt like the spirit that we carried just bounced off her and came straight back to us. So we are praying, praying, praying that we'll know how to proceed from here. I;m positive Wednesday will go better because we now know her personality and what she's looking for and how we can teach her. 
Andre on the other hand, we're almost positive that when we commit him to baptism again on Wednesday that he'll say yes :) we love him and love teaching him. He's basically perfect and already a member!
So ready to here about some miracles?! Cool thing about living at the MTC is that you're on dedicated ground 24/7 so miracles are basically happening 24/7. I can't wait for Temple Square!
On day 1 about 2-3 hours after getting dropped off everyone was bouncing with excitement and nervousness, no one knew were anything was but we were all ready to get started, well after meeting our teachers they took us to a building where we would have our giant orientation meeting with the MTC Presidency with all the new missionaries. Guess who walked out of the door right as I was walking in... Brother Andrew Meteer :D and yes that was a miracle, and 2 hours of being surrounded but new faces I saw someone I knew and loved. Even better during the Orientation the MTC President he asked a bunch of questions like 'How many of you have siblings, cousins, relatives here at the MTC?' 'How many of you have friends here at the MTC?' 'How many of you have people from your home stake here?' Well as he's asking all these questions Sister Fluckiger is watching all these hands shoot up and has this realization that she is completely alone. No friends, family, or even anyone from the home stake. It was horrible. And then I am reminded of the famiilar face I ran into on the way to the meeting. I know that my Father in Heaven put Andrew right in my path to remind me that I was exactly where He needed me even though I will sometimes feel all alone. 
Miracle #2 Thursday night we met with our branch presidency..but no one told us who that was or even what branch number we were. so when me and Sister Brooks showed up and they were asking what branch we were we has no idea. we were completely lost. And of course they couldn't help us, so we ended up just walking down the halls asking all the Brothers helping if they knew how we could find out. They were of no help at all and we couldn't find anyone from our district. So Sister B peeks her head into one of the rooms where none of the missionaries had arrived yet so just the presidency was in there. They turned to us and I basically said we were totally lost and the Presidents Wife shoots us and shouts "You're in here! I know you're faces!!" Miracle because both me and Sister B were in glasses with our hair up so neither of us looked like the pictures they had of us haha, and I just liked hearing someone say they knew my face :)
Okay funny experiences now? Well the Elders in our district are fantastic, totally immature sometimes and so funny and have really grown over the last few days. All the teachers here all like to interrupt our personal, companionship, and district study to tell us how impressed they are with us. I didn't quite understand why because as a newbie I assumed all the older missionaries (by older i mean they've been here 5 days longer than us) would also be studying.... and that was proven wrong. the two districts in our zone that left this morning basically never studied. If is was supposed to be quite for study time we always had to keep our door closed because they would be right next to us laughing and goofing off and basically being 18-19 teenage boys. Anyways Elder Popp is our district leader and he's fantastic, I will admit I was a little worried when he was called but he has really grown and matured for this calling. We get along so well as a district, we do pretty much everything together. Elder Popp is in charge of getting mail so the sisters really like to bug him about it :) Imagine the seagulls from Finding Nemo... "Mine Mine Mine Mine Mine" Yep that's Exactly what we do to him every breakfast and dinner "Mail Mail Mail Mail Mail Mail" It's perfect. Speaking of mail I feel I need to chastise the family. 1 package, 1 letter, and 1 talk? What is this? Don't you know that mail is literally our lifeline as a missionary? We get mail twice a day. Morning and evening :) Let's see how much mail Sister Fluckiger can get!
I love you all and I am very grateful for the package and letter :) I hung up the picture for all the sisters to see. I hope everything is going fantastic back home!
XOXOXOX
-Sister Fluckiger

Shoutouts:
-Michele Fluckiger! Brother Flores is my teacher and he said he works with you in the American Fork Band!! How cool is that. Of course it took me to ask him if he knew you when i found out he worked there because he didn't to ask if we were related. I mean really? we've got the same last name :)

LOVE YOU ALL :D

No comments:

Post a Comment