Friday, September 4, 2015

WWJD?

Learning, I love it! 
As a missionary we study the Gospel of Jesus Christ and it is wonderful! I had some sick sisters this week which meant I was blessed with a little extra time to study the scriptures as they rested. It was great. Something that is cool about our mission is that we serve so closely with each other, meaning it's close quarters and we really get to see everyone almost everyday, and we get to have great gospel conversations. There's nothing better than talking about Christ and how we can more fully understand His teachings and live them day to day. 
Last Saturday we were blessed to have Mission Leadership Council which is where all the leaders in the mission have a meeting with President and the Assistants and we receive training on what President would like the sisters to be focusing on this transfer. It takes about half the day but it is always totally worth it! 
President Poulsen does like to spoil us sometimes and so we have our MLC meeting on the 10th floor in the Joseph Smith Memorial Building-which is where everyone has their wedding receptions. So the room where we had the meeting was probably one of the fanciest rooms I have ever been in, second to the Temple of course. Well this transfer the focus of the meeting was about becoming like our Savior Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ did so much and there is so much about Him that I had never thought about before. Pondering the characteristics of Christ was a great activity, if you haven't done it before or if it's been a while, I highly encourage it! 
When we understand who Christ is, it is easier for us to become more like Him. We get asked a lot on the square if missionary work is required in the church and if we receive 'special privileges' when we return home from our mission. I'll admit, that has become one of my most favorite questions to answer because it always throws off the people that I am talking to. Jesus Christ made the ultimate sacrifice for my mistakes, my shortcomings, and my sins. Without Him, I would never be able to live with my Father in Heaven again. Because He did that for me, I will do this for Him. It's that simple. Yesterday I was on exchanges with lovely Sister Menzie from Australia and we took a tour with a fella who asked us this question and then his followup question was if there was a high percentage of individuals from our church who voluntarily choose to serve a mission. I think both of us were very humbled by our simple answer of 'yes' - his reply: "That says a lot about the faith that you have in your Savior"


Being a missionary is such a blessing. You learn a lot. You are blessed to be able to serve others. You meet so many wonderful people. And you get to share with them what you love so dearly. 
The more I learn about the Gospel of Jesus Christ, the more it just makes sense to me. We met a man on the square earlier this week and it was right after he finished walking through the South Visitor's Center for the first time. We asked him if he had any questions, and he just looked at us and replied "where do I even start?" Really that question could mean anything but my companion and I both felt that the spirit had really been working on this man as he was walking through the Visitor's Center so we started with who we were and why we were doing what we were doing. Which nicely led to clarity that comes from knowing that there truly is 'one true church'. As we were talking with him he just kept nodding his head and replying, 'that makes a lot of sense'. He was very interested in learning more and we found out that before he left Temple Square he was able to talk with more sisters and committed to meet with missionaries and to pray if this church was true. It's so nice to serve with 200 sister missionaries, because it's comforting to know that even though the specific individual might not have been willing with you, eventually after having spiritual experiences, one after another, their hearts are softened and they are ready. Which really is what happens with everyone in the world, it just can happen a whole lot quicker when guests come and visit Temple Square!


'I'm trying to be like Jesus, I'm following in His ways.' Life is just better when we try to be like Jesus Christ. It's hard, but luckily he doesn't expect us to be perfect at it in this life. Elder Cook also came and visited our Sacrament Meeting last Sunday and also shared with us the importance of being like Christ. He told us: 
"You are the message! More so on Temple Square than in any other mission." 
So that's what I'm trying to do, and gratefully I have a companion. It's a lot easier to use the enabling power of the Atonement to become better when you have someone with you everyday who's working on it as well.
I love you all so very much! And I hope that we can all become like the little rain :)

"Give," said the little rain,
"Give, oh! give, give, oh! give."
"Give," said the little rain,
As it fell upon the flow'rs;
"I'll raise their drooping heads again,"
As it fell upon the flow'rs.
XOXOXOX
-Sister Fluckiger

No comments:

Post a Comment